How to Become a Partner Family
Q: What is a "Partner Family"?
A: A Partner Family is a family that has gone through Habitat's family selection process and has been approved by the Habitat Board.
Q: What service does Habitat for Humanity provide?
A: Habitat for Humanity provides a way for low-income families to own their own home through a no profit, no interest mortgage. Mortgage payments are approximately $365 a month for a 3 bedroom home) To see our basic floor plan for a 3 bedroom house, click here.
Q: How does Habitat for Humanity choose Partner Families?
A: There are three things Habitat looks for when considering Partner Families: need, ability to pay the mortgage, and willingness to partner with Habitat for Humanity. In practical terms, this means things like:
- The family must be able to qualify for Section 8 housing ( What is Section 8 housing?)
- The monthly salary must be within a specific range depending on family size (contact the Office for details)
- The family cannot have filed for bankruptcy within the last 18 months.
- The family must be willing to put in 300 hours of "sweat equity" (Similar to volunteer labor), and attend 10 classes on subjects like financing, home maintenance, etc.
- U.S. Citizen or Green card
- Speak and understand basic English
Q: What do I do now?
A: Call us at (260) 422 - 4828 to make an appointment to attend an enrollment meeting. Expect to be asked a small number of pre-qualification questions during the call. The enrollment meeting will explain the process of becoming a Partner Family and start you down the road to home ownership!